Thursday, March 11, 2010

Awkward library story

Today I was interviewed at the library for a news organization. The broad overview of the story had something to do with the immigration issue in Fremont. For those of you who don't know, Fremont is pretty much the shit storm of immigration issues because most of the people who live here are rubes and bigots and assholes who see any dark skinned individual as a fence hopping, job stealing, ILLEGAL!

Now, my job here at the library is to sign kids up for library cards. I've been doing a pretty good job of it. I also admit that part of my job has been to get more individuals of Hispanic descent into the library, mostly because the Hispanic community in Fremont is an underserved population in terms of services we offer (as an aside, we don't have a single Spanish speaking individual on staff, nor do we have any people of color so I can't imagine why we wouldn't have more people of color in the doors).

Anyway. I just want to vent some frustration about how the interview went down because the library director was like an obtrusive school teacher because she was worried I would get "baited" by the interviewer and give a shitty soundbite.

Grr!

No comments:

Post a Comment