Sunday, March 1, 2009

Today I learned today that there are more library blogs and websites than I had ever imagined. Lots and lots and lots of them. I'm looking for sites on cataloging at the moment. Now, to preface this, I hate cataloging. I really really do. It's one of the most boring things that I can think of in the history of librarianship. It's probably one of the most important things that a library can do because it's how you find stuff, but the actual work of it SUCKS!
Now on with the story. Librarything.com and Librarything.com/forlibraries are two really cool parts of a website that is so into Web 2.0 that it's almost 3. The site allows you to catalog your own library collectiong and share it with other users. These users can tag your books with words and phrases that then incorporate them into a "tagged" search. This allows you to search for something like "confused identity" and come up with all sorts of titles that have "confused identity" as the tag. It's quite a beautiful piece of technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment